- Characterization of vulnerability and adaptive capacity with local partners and stakeholders through focus group interviews and comprehensive household surveys
- Identification of determinants of adaptive capacity with partners and stakeholders.
- Extension of IMPACT-WATER for climate change analysis and linkage with CGE, multi-market and basin models
Global Change Assessment and Scenario Analysis:
- Assessment of the net impact of global change on rural livelihoods in developing countries and rural Africa
- Development of scenarios and likely outcomes for Ethiopia and South Africa in scoping workshops on potential adaptive strategies, response options, and their limitations
- Analysis of alternative scenarios to assess the impact of response options and adaptation strategies and their relative costs and benefits for the study sites and rural Africa
Development of general directions for adaptation and mitigation strategies and wide dissemination on general directions for global and regional levels; and detailed policy reform options for the case study countries and regions
- Enhanced international and national capacity through training and capacity development on vulnerability analysis, interview techniques, household survey application and data analysis, model development, scaling issues, scenario development, and policy analysis from the integrated modeling framework, including development of investment options; international exchange among researchers in the South and North to facilitate exchange of insights and experience in global change research; and joint publications and presentations for conferences.