The following materials are provided to assist researchers with applying a gender analysis to their work.
- Gender and Assets Toolkit
- World Bank World Development Report 2012: Focus on Gender Equality
The World Development Report: Gender Equality and Development argues that gender equality is a core development objective in its own right. It is also smart economics. Greater gender equality can enhance productivity, improve development outcomes for the next generation, and make institutions more representative.
- Gender and collective action: Policy implications from recent research
Pandolfelli, L., S. Dohrn, R. S. Meinzen-Dick. 2007. CAPRi Policy Brief 5.
This brief summarizes findings from an international workshop on Gender and Collective Action organized in 2005 by CAPRi in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
- Strengthening women’s assets and status: Programs improving poor women’s lives
Ambler, J., L. Pandolfelli, A. Kramer, and R. Meinzen-Dick. 2007. 2020 Focus Brief.
This document reviews successful interventions that seek to build both women’s assets and their societal status in order to respond to the needs and capabilities of chronically poor women.
- Property rights for poverty reduction
Meinzen-Dick, R. S., P. Kameri-Mbote, and H. Markelova. 2007. 2020 Focus Brief.
This brief explains why property rights are important for poverty reduction, describes the challenges faced in attempting to
strengthen the property rights of poor people, and identifies potential policies for overcoming these challenges.
- Food Security in Practice No. 2: Using Gender Research in Development
Agnes R. Quisumbing and Bonnie McClafferty, 2006
In keeping with the purpose of IFPRI’s Food Security in Practice series, this practitioners’ guide bridges the gap between research and practice by providing up-to-date, relevant information on why and how gender issues, when taken into account, can improve the design, implementation, and effectiveness of development projects and policies.
- Gender Training Wiki
This online resource provides access to information on gender mainstreaming, gender training opportunities and gender-related grants and scholarships.
- Gender Analysis as a Research Development Tool
International Development Research Centre, 1998
- Gender and Agriculture Sourcebook
Collaborative production of the Agriculture and Rural Development Department of the World Bank, the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD).
- Gender Mainstreaming in Agriculture and Rural Development: A Reference Manual for Governments and Other Stakeholders
Commonwealth Secretariat, 2001
This manual has been produced to assist governments and other stakeholders in mainstreaming gender in agriculture and rural development. The appendices present tools for policy analysis and gender impact assessment, as well as a glossary of terms.
- INSTRAW Sectoral Gender Training Materials
Offers a comprehensive database of gender trainings and training materials offered by international, governmental and non-governmental organizations on such topics as governance and leadership, migration, poverty, the environment, and agriculture.
- International Farming Systems Gender Resources
- Macro Level Handbook: Gender Analysis in macroeconomic and agricultural sector policies and programmes SEAGA, FAO, 2003
Designed to assist policy makers in understanding why it is important to integrate gender analysis at macro and sectoral policy levels.
Sex-Disaggregated Databases and Gender-Sensitive Indicators
- World Bank Gender Data
- The African Gender and Development Index (AGDI)
AGDI is a specifically African index with its emphasis on the major African charters and documents that have a bearing on gender relations and women’s empowerment.
- Agricultural Science & Technology Indicators (ASTI)
The ASTI initiative tracks the number of female researchers and their educational levels at the country-level as well as by institutional category.
- Annotated Bibliography on Statistical Methodologies for the Collection, Analysis and Presentation of Gender-Disaggregated Data
This bibliographic search on statistical methodologies for the collection of gender-disaggregated data was prepared by BRIDGE (Briefings in Development and Gender, IDS) for the British Council Regional Office for West Africa. The bibliography is intended to support a project to improve the capacity of the Federal Office of Statistics (Nigeria) in collecting, analyzing and presenting gender disaggregated data.
- The conditions and consequences of choice: Reflections on the measurement of women’s empowerment
Naila Kabeer, 1999
This paper is intended as a critical reflection on some recent attempts to construct indicators of women’s empowerment, focusing in particular on the meanings given to these measures and values embedded within them.
- Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA) Gender Statistics Programme (GSP)
GSP aims to enhance national capabilities in the production, use and dissemination of gender statistics to lead to more effective policies promoting change for the benefit of women and the advancement of society as a whole.
- Gender-Sensitive Statistics for Agricultural Development
Discusses methodological and measurement issues, identifies data gaps and highlights the efforts that are still needed to improve the availability of data necessary for a better understanding of gender issues in rural and agricultural development, particularly in the developing countries.
- Girls Discovered: Global Maps of Adolescent Girls
As a comprehensive source of maps and data on the status of adolescent girls worldwide, Girls Discovered helps donors, policy makers and implementing agencies target their investments.
- Measuring Empowerment in Practice: Structuring Analysis and Framing Indicators
Ruth Alsop and Nina Heinsohn, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 3510, February 2005
- OECD Gender, Institutions & Development database
- Socio-economic and gender sensitive indicators in the management of natural resources
This paper develops gender-sensitive indicators (GSI) through the identification of GSI factors that put differential pressure on the management and use of natural resources.
- Special Report of the World’s Women 2005: Progress in Statistics
UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, 2005
Prepared for the 49th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women, this report analyzes the current state and progress of national-level sex and age-disaggregated statistics on population, births and deaths.
- Statistics and Indicators on Women and Men
United Nations (UN) Statistics Division, 2005
Provides statistics and indicators on women and men in six specific fields of concern: population, families, health, education, work and politics and human rights
- Women in Parliament
The International Parliamentary Union (IPU), 2005
Provides participation rates of women in national parliaments around the world
- Women of Our World Data Sheet, 2005
Population Reference Bureau, 2005
Provides updated estimates on women’s status and progress in reproductive health, education, work, and public life
- The World’s Women 2000: Trends and Statistics
UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, 2000
The third issue in a series of reports (the other two issued in 1991 and 1995) that looks at the status of women through the lens of statistical data and analysis.
- WIDNET (Women in Development) Statistics
United Nations statistics on population, health, education, labor, and power
- National Household Survey for Impact Indicators of Gender Mainstreaming on the Status of Women in Africa: Household Survey Questionnaire
- Ghana: Savelugu-Nanton Household Survey Dataset, 2001
- Egypt integrated household survey, 1997-1999
- Ethiopia rural household survey dataset (ERHS), 1989-1997
- Kenya land tenure, agricultural productivity and the environment: Suba and Laikipia Districts, 2001
- Bangladesh: commercial vegetable and polyculture fish production — their impacts on income, household resource allocation, and nutrition, 1996-1997
- Bangladesh: Baseline data of SHAHAR Project, CARE-Bangladesh, 2000 — slum areas of Tongi and Jessore municipalities]
- Guatemala: strengthening and evaluation of the Hogares Comunitarios Program in Guatemala City, 1999
- South Africa: KwaZulu-Natal Income Dynamics Study (KIDS), 1993-1998
- Ghana: Accra urban food and nutrition security, 1997
- Malawi financial markets and household food security
- Pakistan panel survey, 1986-1991