- Provide research-based policy options for strategy design (such as poverty reduction strategy papers) and government investments.
- Provide a priority-setting mechanism to target the sectors most likely to promote higher growth and greater poverty reduction at national and regional levels.
- Conduct research on mechanisms for mobilizing both public and private resources to support needed investments.
- Investigate the role of governance issues in public spending and public service delivery.
- Strengthen the national analytical capacity of research institutions through training and collaboration with IFPRI.
- Assist international donors in setting their funding priorities and improving the performance of their funds.