The Mozambique Strategy Analysis and Knowledge Support System (MozSAKSS) is working with the Ministry of Agriculture’s Department of Economics (MINAG/DE) in support of the design and implementation of the new agricultural strategy, strengthening the capacity of MINAG/DE to provide strategic analysis and information support for pro-poor agricultural and rural policymaking in Mozambique.
MozSAKSS is implemented by IFPRI, together with two other partners in the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), ICRISAT (International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics), and IWMI (International Water Management Institute), in close collaboration with the Directorate of Economics at the Ministry of Agriculture (MINAG/DE).
Mozambique’s New Agricultural Strategy
The government of Mozambique is currently designing a new agricultural strategy, aligning its development priorities with regional initiatives such as the New Partnership for Africa’s Development’s (NEPAD)’s Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) and the Southern African Development Community’s (SADC) Regional Indicative Strategic Development Plan (RISDP).
Successful implementation of this strategy will require:
- Determining the right mix and sequencing of policies and investments to achieve sectoral and regional growth targets and the country’s food security and poverty reduction goals
- Efficiently allocating resources across key subsectors and among different geographic regions
- Harmonizing multiple interests and rights between smallholders and commercial-private farmers, and promoting strategic partnerships to ensure inclusive agricultural growth and development
- Coordinating local and national priorities in the context of ongoing decentralization and the future SADC economic integration
- Ensuring effective inter-ministerial coordination as well as pragmatic public-private partnerships to boost the agriculture sector
- Building long-term country capacity to support the formulation and implementation of policies and development strategies
- Effectively communicating priorities to the national policymaking environment
Funding for MozSAKSS and MozSSP is provided by the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).