This book brings together recent evidence on HIV/AIDS impacts on rural households, livelihoods, and agricultural practice in sub-Saharan Africa. There is particular emphasis on the role of women in affected households. The book is unique in presenting micro-level information collected by original empirical research in a range of African countries, and showing how well-grounded conclusions on trends and major problems can then be addressed by policies. It is shown that HIV/AIDS impacts are more diverse than we know (and not always negative) on the basis of cumulative evidence so far. The book represents a major contribution to our understanding of the impacts of HIV/AIDS and how these can be managed.
Table of Contents
1. AIDS in Africa: Dynamics and Diversity of Impacts and Response
2. The Longitudinal Picture: What does it Reveal?
3. Resilience and (Dis)continuity in Households Afflicted by AIDS: Some Preliminary Insights from a Longitudinal Case Study Analysis
4. Impacts of AIDS-related Morbidity and Mortality on Non-urban Households in Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa
5. Sweet Cane, Bitter Realities: The Complex Realities of AIDS in Mkamba, Kilombero District, Tanzania
6. Single Women’s Experiences of Livelihood Conditions, HIV and AIDS in the Rural Areas of Zimbabwe
7. Regional Agricultural-Consumption Regimes and Women’s Vulnerability to HIV in Kenya
8. Multi-layered impacts of AIDS and Implications for Food Security among Banana Farmers in Uganda
9. Impact of HIV/AIDS on Local Farming Knowledge: Differences in the Cognitive Salience of Maize Crop Pests between Affected and Non-affected Adults and Children in Benin
10. Adult Mortality, Food Security and the Use of Wild Natural Resources in a Rural District of South Africa: Exploring the Environmental Dimensions of AIDS
11. Applying the Farmer Life School Approach to Support Women of Poor and HIV/AIDS-Affected Households in Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa
12. Agricultural Policy Response to HIV and AIDS: Lessons Learned from East and Southern Africa
13. AIDS and Livelihoods: What Have We Learned and Where are We Heading?