Objectives of the training course
- Strengthen existing capacity across sectoral ministries and agencies in data analysis, specifically poverty and nutrition policy analysis;
- Expand the knowledge base for developing agricultural, rural development , poverty, and nutrition‐related policies and programs;
- Enable the development of advanced computing skills;
- Reinforce international best practice in poverty and nutrition analysis.
This training module is to introduce SPSS to the participants and to show them how to use SPSS to generate descriptive statistics and tables from survey data. In particular, the course aims to train the participants in the following methods:
- Working with survey data files;
- File management such as opening, modifying, and saving files;
- Documenting data files with variable labels and value labels;
- Cleaning of data within and across the files;
- Data management such as merging, appending, and aggregating files;
- Generating new variables using various arithmetic and statistical functions and operands;
- Creating tables to describe the distribution of continuous and discrete variables;
- Creating tables to describe the relationships between two or more variables;
- Performing basic nutrition and poverty analysis;
- Using regression analysis to study the impact of various variables on a dependent variable.