HARVESTPLUS VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
INTERNATIONALLY RECRUITED POSITION
REGIONAL DIRECTOR, ASIA
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
HarvestPlus works at the cutting edge of international development to tackle malnutrition in rural communities in Africa, Asia and Latin America and the Caribbean. Our vision is a world free of hidden hunger. Since 2003, HarvestPlus has been working with international research partners to develop new, more nutritious varieties of staple food crops that provide higher amounts of vitamin A, iron, or zinc through a process called biofortification. This new and innovative approach adopts conventional plant breeding to improve the nutritional value of everyday foods that hundreds of millions of people rely on. Biofortification targets rural families that are not easily reached by other micronutrient interventions such a food fortification and supplementation. Biofortification is evidence-based, cost-effective, sustainable and inclusive.
Operating with 170 staff across 15 countries, HarvestPlus is part of the CGIAR research network - a global agriculture research partnership comprising 15 independent research centers. HarvestPlus is coordinated by two of these centers: the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). Together, our goal is to reach 20 million farming households by 2020 and one billion consumers by 2030 through the development of inclusive and sustainable markets for biofortified foods. Our current annual budget is USD$40m, provided by several major donors, including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the UK Government and USAID.
The Regional Director, Asia will provide overall strategic direction to the regional operations teams in close collaboration with the Director of Research & Development. This includes strategic oversight for downstream processing, multiplication, and distribution activities and the management of regional staff and budgets. The Regional Director will be specifically responsible for supervising and supporting an experienced team of HarvestPlus Country Managers, who engage in a wide variety of approaches to develop and support seed systems, create demand for, and promote consumption of biofortified crops. In addition to these regional responsibilities, s/he will play a broader advisory and advocacy role for these activities across approximately 50 countries worldwide where multi-locational trials of biofortified crops are underway involving close interactions with HarvestPlus’ highly-respected crop breeders, nutritionists, M&E specialists and field testing personnel and global partners.
The successful candidate will be a mission-focused, seasoned, and process-minded leader with experience of developing a performance culture among a group of diverse, talented individuals. The role will report to the CEO who is based at HarvestPlus headquarters in Washington, DC.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive regional operations and marketing plan to ensure targeted scale-up of seed multiplication and distribution systems for a portfolio of staple food crops in multiple countries with a big focus on high zinc rice.
- Provide overall direction to the regional operations team and coordinate the strategic implementation of country delivery plans in collaboration with the Director of Research & Development.
- Oversee operational logistics and financial planning at Asia regional level, including budget forecasting, cost management, capital planning and business development - including demand creation, partnership development, advocacy and fundraising activities.
- Identify key performance metrics and use data/analytics to drive improved accountability and procurement policies to reduce cost and optimize program performance both regionally and globally.
- Develop standard operating procedures in collaboration with field and planning teams and other partners to support on-time seed multiplication, certification, inventory-management, storage, order fulfillment and distribution.
- Ensure that an organizational policy is in place for informed decision making including appropriate risk management strategies, compliance policies, organizational planning and reporting.
- Review, develop and implement partner contracting policies and standard operating procedures, in collaboration with the Chief Financial Officer based at HarvestPlus headquarters in Washington, DC, including contracts with commercial entities; recommending improvements to processes and controls to HarvestPlus, IFPRI and CIAT.
- Represent HarvestPlus in Asia to ensure Program visibility and good standing with regional strategic partners, governments and donors.
Specific tasks include but are not limited to:
Regional and Country Level Oversight and Capacity Strengthening
- Ensure achievement of key milestones and deliverables for Asia country programs, while monitoring and providing guidance as required for country teams with respect to operational implementation of country strategies.
- Ensure quality, accuracy, and timeliness of overall budgeting, financial reporting, and technical reporting by country teams for HarvestPlus planning and reporting purposes, as well as review of donor-specific proposals and reporting.
- Work with other Regional Directors and headquarters teams in Finance, Monitoring and Evaluation, External Affairs and other functions to develop country manager and/or deputy manager capacity strengthening activities and support for effective country team operations.
- Lead the development of office hosting agreements/arrangements with other CGIAR centers and other partners in target countries, including negotiation on financial monitoring, seed processing and human resource issues, and other related coordination where required.
- Develop and manage capacity strengthening initiatives in commercial seed sector development, seed/crop quality enhancement for smallholder production.
- MBA or other advanced degree; minimum of 15 years of experience in operations, with at least 10 years of experience in country or regional management in Asia, preferably in a multinational agricultural company. Experience in the International Development arena is a plus.
- Proven ability to facilitate progressive organizational change in a dynamic organization.
- Demonstrated leadership and people management skills, including excellent communication, interpersonal, and diplomatic skills; and the ability to effectively liaise with colleagues and donors in a diverse multi-cultural and fast-paced team environment.
- Comfortable engaging with senior decision-makers in the Policy arena (Food Security, Nutrition and Agricultural Research).
- Broad knowledge of finance functions and senior experience in licensing, IP and contract administration.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, including a demonstrated ability to conduct complex analysis of financial data and to forecast/assess the financial impact of proposed plans/projects.
- A strong working knowledge of the food supply chain in Asia from “seeds to plate” (preferably with a procurement background in rice and grains).
- Technical understanding of agricultural science and seed production – with exposure to smallholder farmers in developing countries.
- Knowledge of research-scale seed processing and best practices and familiarity with plant breeding methodologies (both selective and bio-engineering).
- Knowledge of seed certification, warehousing, inventory and process improvement principles such as LEAN and/or Six Sigma.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, and detail orientation.
- Experience with financial management software systems.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills. Fluency in an Asian language is advantageous.
- Ability and willingness to travel (approximately 60% time).
- Essential personal qualities of integrity, responsiveness, and decisiveness.
HarvestPlus has engaged with SRI Executive Search for the recruitment of the Regional Director, Asia position. Expressions of interest can be submitted via their website at the following link: http://www.sri-executive.com/opportunities/#job-7054.