The systematic and continuous introduction of improved seed varieties and their widespread adoption by farmers are a vital dimension of sustained agricultural productivity growth. Policy initiatives can play a major role in this process.
This workshop will explore how policy can build an enabling environment for national seed sector development. It will combine inaugural remarks from key government and donor stakeholders, technical presentations, followed by interactive roundtable discussions on seed certification, regional harmonization, private sector, and seed policy. IFPRI’s Bangladesh Policy Research and Strategy Support Program (PRSSP) will develop a policy report as an output from the workshop.
Chair: Mr. Mohammad Moinuddin Abdullah, Senior Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture
- 09:00-09:30: Registration
- 09:30-09:35: Mr. Mohammad Nazmul Islam, Director General, Agricultural Policy Support Unit (APSU) Additional Secretary (PPC), Ministry of Agriculture
- 09:35-09:45: Dr. Akhter Ahmed, Country Representative, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
- 09:45-09:55: Special Guest Mr. Ashraf Uddin Ahmed, Additional Secretary, Director General (Seed), Seed Wing, Ministry of Agriculture
- 09:55-10:05: Special Guest Ms. Zeinah Salahi, Deputy Mission Director, USAID/Bangladesh
- 10:05-10:15: Chief Guest Matia Chowdhury, MP, Honourable Minister, Ministry of Agriculture
- 10:15-10:25: Chair Mr. Mohammad Moinuddin Abdullah, Senior Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture
- 10:25-10:45: Tea/Coffee Break